by girls, FOR GIRLS by Alexa B., Girl Scout Ambassador



“I will do my best to be:
Honest and fair,
Friendly and helpful,
Considerate and caring,
Courageous and strong, and
Responsible for what I say and do,
And to
Respect myself and others,
Respect authority,
Use resources wisely,
Make the world a better place, and
Be a sister to every Girl Scout.”

If you recognize this statement, either you or someone you know is a proud Girl Scout. I have been a Girl Scout for so long that it feels like I was born in uniform. I joined Girl Scouts in kindergarten as a Daisy, the youngest Girl Scout group. My mom signed me up because she thought it would help me make friends, but in reality, Girl Scouts has taught me not only about friendship, but also about responsibility, leadership, honesty, respect, and so much more. I used to recite the Girl Scout Law from memory without really thinking about what the words mean, but now I realize that the Girl Scout Law has shaped the person I am today.

At the age of seventeen, I have been a Girl Scout for more years than I have been anything else; nearly thirteen years of my life have been dedicated to not only my Troop, but also to myself, in the sense that everything that I’ve done in Girl Scouts has helped mold me into a better person. And, earning my Gold Award has been an achievement for which I am most proud because it constantly reminds me that I can accomplish anything I wish to do. Being in Girl Scouts has given me friendships that will last a lifetime, as well as skills and strengths that I will take with me into college and into the workforce when the time comes. Having been a part of a strong, united group for so long makes me look forward to joining student organizations and civic organizations in the future. It makes me look forward to finding others who share my values of service and community.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Sit-Upon Using a Reusable Shopping Bag

How To...Tie a Girl Scout Scarf

Working at a Girl Scout Camp by Maggie Robinson