Never a Girl Scout, but Girl Scout Intern, YES!

My summer experience as an intern for Girl Scouts of Nassau County.

By Cathy C.

Although I wasn’t a Girl Scout growing up, I was given the chance to be an intern in the Human Resource department at Girl Scouts of Nassau County allowing me to earn college credit towards my BA in Communications from Molloy College. I was overjoyed to not only learn more about my field of study in a professional setting, but to also acquire knowledge about an organization I had not been involved in when I was younger.

As a student that had never experienced an internship, taking the step to apply for one, exposing me to a real world experience in my field of study, Communications, was a new challenge I was both nervous and excited to take.

When I arrived at Girl Scouts of Nassau County, I was overwhelmingly welcomed as an intern for the summer of 2014 from all of the staff. I was instantly charged with a feeling of motivation to work for and learn from a company that instills courage, confidence and character in girls’ lives every day. My nervous feeling subsided soon after, as it was instantly apparent that I was working with a mentor and staff that would introduce the same in me.

During my time at Girl Scouts of Nassau County, I learned many important components about what it is to be a professional in Human Resources. I was fortunate to experience a typical day in the non-profit world of Human Resources and was involved in numerous staff meetings. These meetings were a crucial learning experience for me because I was aware of the most up to date news in the organization and was also exposed to many viewpoints from staff members. This improved my performance on a daily basis and expanded my view of teamwork. This is especially necessary in a non-profit company where brainstorming and a collaborative effort is vital in order to raise money.

Some of my major responsibilities included but were not limited to, data entry, assisting in the development of the 2014 performance review system, performing background checks, and assisting in the interview and recruitment process. I was also given the opportunity to work in an intimate setting with local Girl Scouts. I interacted with the girls in helping them improve their communication skills. The Girl Scouts of Nassau County hosted a fun, interactive learning experience for Girl Scouts of which I assisted in the production. This was great exposure working one on one with the girls. Acquiring these major components of the Human Resource field and involvement with hands-on volunteer opportunities allowed me to gain a wide variety of knowledge.

Having a supportive, helpful and trustworthy mentor throughout my time at Girl Scouts of Nassau County made me feel motivated to contribute my best efforts as an intern. I would consider the time I’ve spent and lessons I’ve learned from my mentor, and the hardworking Girl Scouts of Nassau County staff to be invaluable. I would recommend Girl Scouts of Nassau County as a place to experience an internship to gain a hands-on, real life work experience.

Feeling respected and accomplished from lessons learned, and goals that will be achieved with guidance along the way are things that a prospective intern can look forward to while spending time at Girl Scouts of Nassau County.

If you would like to learn more about the internships offered at Girl Scouts of Nassau County or other Volunteer Opportunities with the Girl Scouts of Nassau County, please contact Lorna de Bellegarde at debellegardel@gsnc.org or complete our Volunteer Interest Form.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Sit-Upon Using a Reusable Shopping Bag

How To...Tie a Girl Scout Scarf

Working at a Girl Scout Camp by Maggie Robinson