My Very First Girl Scout Memory... by Wanda Jackson, President and Chief Volunteer Officer, Girl Scouts of Nassau County



On Monday, May 20, 2013, Girl Scouts of Nassau County voted in a new President and Chief Volunteer Officer.  Her name is Wanda Jackson; a long time volunteer and Girl Scout. Here is her story:



My Very First Girl Scout Memory... 

By Wanda Jackson
President and Chief Volunteer Officer
Girl Scouts of Nassau County

My very first Girl Scout memory is of my life-long friend, Paula, coming to school in her Brownie uniform. She looked so special, even 6 year-old cool in her cute brown shirt dress and beanie. It was all I could do that afternoon, but run home and ask my mom how I could be a Girl Scout too. 

A few years later, my mom found a troop for my twin sister and me. We started our GS journey as Juniors at St. Pascal Baylon in Hollis. Fast forward through Cookie sales, fashion shows, trips, badges, learning how to swim at Camp Andre Clark, building a one-match fire on a canoe trip while at Camp Henry Kaufmann, Cadettes, Seniors, two daughters who were Girl Scouts in Baldwin, the eldest a Silver Award recipient, being a Cookie mom and then serving on the Nominating Committee and subsequently the Board here in Nassau County.  

On that very first day, when I admired my friend's uniform, I never imagined having the opportunity to lead my local Council as its President, but here I am today, humbled by the opportunity to serve, excited to help build young women of courage, confidence and character that will make the world a better place and become tomorrow's leaders. 

I am sure my Girl Scout story is like that of so many others. All of our adult volunteers who share their time and talent to nurture and develop girls are committed and hopeful for their bright futures.  I am excited to work together to siege each day, and every single moment to maximize this commitment. I look forward to years of success and growth in Nassau County and hope that we, the adult volunteers continue to be THE catalyst that makes a difference in the lives of so many girls.   

-Wanda Jackson
 

Comments

  1. Welcome, I look forward to meeting you and am delighted to read your own experience in Girl Scouts meant so much to you. We have so many great volunteers in GSNC and I'm looking forward to our combined efforts under your vision and leadership.
    JoLynn WH/FS

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Sit-Upon Using a Reusable Shopping Bag

How To...Tie a Girl Scout Scarf

Working at a Girl Scout Camp by Maggie Robinson