Summer Camp by Guest Blogger, Katie VandenHeuvel

Every summer since I was 7 years old has always had one similarity. It isn’t barbequing on the fourth of July or going on vacations with my family, it was spending a few weeks at the Girl Scouts of Nassau County’s camp, Camp Blue Bay.

As I am now preparing for my fourth year on staff and my thirteenth summer spent at the camp I can’t believe some girls never get to experience the fun a sleep away camp provides. Memories of this camp are ones that I will always hold dear in my heart.
 
Camp Blue Bay and the activities that are done there are based on what Girl Scouts wants to build in girls; “Courage, Confidence and Character” and I know I have gained all three plus many other traits that have shaped me into the person I am today.

Knowing that last years staff consisted of fourteen women who started out as campers; shows how much of a family atmosphere the camp provides and the best part is; it’s not hard to feel at home there.

When girls arrive at the camp they immediately get to know one another playing games and settling into what will be their new home for a week or two. Within the first few hours campers get to spend time at our Trading Post and Bay for some swimming as well as, enjoy a delicious lunch and dinner where they’ll learn plenty of new songs.

But I think the best part of camp comes after dinner, each unit of girls has a campfire filled with learning new camp songs and of course s’mores! And as the fire burns and you can look around; it’s easy to tell the people who surround you are going to make sure you have the best time you can while you’re at camp.

With only a week to go before I start summer number thirteen, I remember little 7 year old me who ran off the bus when I got to camp and laugh because to this day I still have the same amount of excitement inside me. I am so excited to meet every new staff member, and see the faces of both new and returning campers for what is sure to be another amazing summer.

I’ll be sure to eat a s’more for those reading and hope that one day soon you’ll find yourself glancing at a camp brochure and smile and think maybe its time to let your daughter experience the glow of a campfire, and the memories she could make at camp.
______________________________

Katie VandenHeuvel is a long time Girl Scout in Nassau County.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Sit-Upon Using a Reusable Shopping Bag

How To...Tie a Girl Scout Scarf

Working at a Girl Scout Camp by Maggie Robinson